Wednesday, August 31, 2005

10 things I loved about the 80's

These are in no particular order...just my random thoughts...

1) The Music!! By far the best music I've ever listened to. Tears for Fears, Depeshe (sp?) Mode, Thompson Twins, Spandau Ballet, The Go-Go's, The Police, Cyndi, Madonna, The Pet Shop Boys, The Hooters, Soft Cell, Loverboy, Brian Adams, Huey Lweis and the News, Bon Jovi, Def Lepard, Cinderella, Poison, U2 (the Joshua Tree, that was the bomb)... on man...the list could go on forever!

2) The Clothes!! Madonna and Cyndi enter the music world and they were great (then Madonna went in another direction...) They gave me such fashion inspiration. I couldn't wear enough lace, big earrings, and rubber bracelets and bangles. By far the most "expression" I EVER had in my clothes.

3) The Movies!! Sixteen Candles (of course) tops my 80's chart, Pretty in Pink, The Pick-up Artist, The Breakfast Club, St. Elmos Fire, For Keeps, Fresh Horses, Can't Buy Me Love, Loverboy, Wierd Science, Working Girl, Desperately Seeking Susan, and Shanghi Suprise

4) Molly Ringwald...for the reasons listed above :)

5) The Hair!! The HUGE 80's hair. I had it and loved it. I feel that I helped keep Aqua Net stock value up.

6) The cartoons!! The cartoons of the 80's are way better than the stuff today. My daughter even thinks so. She recently started watching the Boomarang (sp?) channel. They show the good stuff. My fav's were the Smurfs, He-Man (I was always Teila), Captian Caveman and the hot chicks, the one with the Grape Ape, the one with the arrogant white panther that was an actor...or something. They were all great!

7) The video games! Again, way better than the ones today. Galaga, Cenipede(sp?), Dig Dug, Moon Patrol, Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Qbert, Tron, Pole Position... The list (again) could go on forever. I don't even know how to go about playing most of the games today!!

8) Cabbage Patch Dolls!! My Dad (Daddy :)) went and got me one of the first released Cabbage Patch Dolls (for my b-day I think..or just cause he & Mom are just that great) @ the Western Auto in Rotan, TX.

9) Wesley Preston Arnold!! The first boy grandchild (my nephew) was born on my side of the family (the Brzezinski's). He was a pure delight to everyone and I loved having someone to play with. He was more like a little brother than a nephew...and there were times when we fought more like brother and sister :) He was one cool kid and he's still a pretty dang cool guy. Miss ya buddy!

10) We were all at least 15 years younger!! Most of us were kids and having no cares in the world. And wasn't the world a much nice and better place back then? Or was I that sheltered? I'm not sure, but I do think that the 80's ruled and I hope that everyone got to enjoy them as much as I did :)

5 comments:

Kim :) said...

Oh Angie, you hit this one on the head! LOVED loved loved the 80s!!! I am glad I grew up during that time period! Thanks for the blast from the past. :)

BETH REMILLARD said...

Sixteen Candles, Some Kind of Wonderful, and Can't buy me love are my favorite movies!!!

Jim said...

Oh my God, what the hell do you do all day? I thought you worked from home, but there is a good 4 hours of thought there today. Why can't you do this during the middle of the night like normal people? HaHa, I'm out! Exit stage left!!!

The Oldies said...

The cabbage patch was an original. That was the year Mom's would have killed you just to getone. And daddy did by it for you. And Just watched Sixteen Candles and RPretty in Pink Dad and I remeber when you were here laying on the floor watching it with us. And the 80's were special for us because we still had children at home keeping us young. ASnd along came Wes. Thank God for allthe blessing he gave us in our chiuldren and grand children. Thnaks for the memories.

The Oldies said...

Or the lack of responce when Billy came home with an ear ring.